Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Peace Crusaders: Chapter 15

Read the entire novel "Good People" FREE at the link: http://good-people-novel.blogspot.com/


The links to all the posts of the novel "The Peace Crusaders":





A masked face appeared on the audio-visual that was released for telecast by all the news channels.

The masked man declared, “Let me begin by saying that I’m the head of a wing of a larger organization whose name will be made known in the near future. But for the time being feel satisfied with the knowledge that I’m representing the wing called “Fighter Revolutionaries of Economic Exploitation” or “FREE” for its short name. I had released an audio message earlier taking the responsibility for the blast that destroyed a few factories of Unon and Bigland. I had also mentioned that our actions had just started and we would intensify our attacks in the future. We are here to remove the yawning gap between the rich and the poor of this planet because it is the major reason for wars and terror actions. So I appeal to all the sensible citizens of this planet to support this noble cause. Let me now submit a very important clarification. These blasts were executed by our organization FREE and FREE alone. An impression was created in the minds of the people that the blasts were staged by the activists headed by one guy named Uttam fighting for justice and compensation to the victims of the gas leakage tragedy of Universal Chemicals plant at Lohab. I wish to put it straight on record that the blasts in the factories of Bigland and Unon have nothing to do with the gas leakage disaster of Nuplace. But in a way we indirectly supported their cause when we look at the blasts in retrospect. Uttam and his associates are absolutely unconnected with the blasts and also our organization FREE.”

Amar, Victor, and Uttam were watching the video on their TV screen in the shack situated in the densest forest of Desh. Amar had joined Victor and Uttam in the shack. Victor switched off the TV and turned to Uttam. He said, “This telecast was very important. Now you need not hide yourself anymore. You are free of all the charges.”

“What you say is true. I need not have to hide like a criminal now. However I’ve an important and unfinished task at my hand. I have yet to seek proper justice and fair compensation that the victims of the Lohab have a right on,” Uttam opined.

Before Victor could speak further, a faint beep beep sound filled the shack. Amar attended to the receiving audio message. It was from Adarsh from Bigland.

“Hi Adarsh, I’m Amar. What is the latest from you?

“Here is the latest development. My boss spoke with me sometime ago. President Korruptkin of Unon was in touch with my boss Gushnell. He is on lookout for a new personal bodyguard for himself. He insists that his new bodyguard should be of my caliber and I must approve him.”

“What happened to his existing one?”

“The existing one has lost his trust. Korruptkin has accused him of some conspiracies and sent him to jail. He feels threatened by the current terror-filled scenario of his country. Recent bomb blasts in some factories have shaken him.”

“Yes, that is quite understandable,” Amar said.

“Plus the workers of Universal Chemicals and many other factories of Unon have not liked the treatment meted out by the CEO Hardnuts to the victims of Lohab gas leak disaster. They believe that Korruptkin and Hardnuts and many other CEOs are in cahoots and often gang up against the workforce of Unon as well as of the countries where the manufacturing activities are outsourced.”

“So Korruptkin is under threat from two sides- the terrorists and his own people from the 99% club. Am I right?” Amar asked. He wanted to be sure that his assessment of the situation in Unon was correct.

“Yes. Your assessment of the situation is correct. Therefore he wants to appoint a new bodyguard at the earliest. I am supposed to report about it to my boss tomorrow.”

“So what do you propose to do?” Amar asked. Others in the shack listened to the conversation between Adarsh and Amar on the speak phone.

“You must have seen the recent telecast from the spokesperson of the terrorist organization FREE. Their declaration of owning the bomb blast of Unon leaves Uttam in the clear. Though I have not met Uttam in person, yet whatever information and photographs I have collected of him makes him a great candidate to take this position of personal bodyguard to Korruptkin. He is fighting for a great cause against the likes of Korruptkin and Hardnuts and he can be very useful to our mission too. By positioning him close to Korruptkin we can achieve our final objectives and in the process also help Uttam achieve his.”

“Yes, Victor and I corroborate your appraisal of Uttam. Uttam holds a great physique and possesses highly superior mental alertness. His passion to get the best compensation from Universal Chemicals for the Lohab gas victims adds a great deal to his qualifications. Your boss as well as president of Unon will like him for his overall personality. But the biggest hurdle is his looks. He has been in the news quite often and is a recognizable face. As of now Uttam is still a big enemy of Korruptkin and his cronies. We will need to change his looks drastically. We will also need to give him new identity, a new name. For your information Uttam is right here and listening to our conversation. Later we will share with you the entire story on how we met Uttam.”

“OK I will be eager to hear the story. For now please ask him his willingness to take up this job. Also will he be willing to undertake a plastic surgery to change his face and also to change his name?”

“Please hang on. Let me check.” Amar turned to Uttam and also looked at Victor to seek his approval of the plan. Victor gave an affirmative nod.

Uttam was also quite quick in making up his mind. He was highly passionate about getting the compensation for the gas victims and he somehow believed that by being part of this plan he might be able to achieve it. He told Amar and Victor, “I am game for it. Go ahead.”

Amar spoke in the speak phone, “You heard what Uttam just said?”

“I heard that. That takes things in the right direction. Please dispatch Uttam straight to me without any delay. President Gushnell wants me to fully train the person I select before handing him over to president Korruptkin.”

“And will you arrange his plastic surgery there?”

“I will organize the plastic surgery here. With minute changes at the crucial spots the face can be changed drastically. Also the technology here dramatically reduces the time required for the plastic surgery and the post operation treatment. The finesse will also be better. We are in a hurry to position the bodyguard of president Korruptkin. Hey Uttam, are you ready to come here the soonest possible?”

Uttam replied in the speak phone, “I can fly even tomorrow. My paperwork for traveling to Bigland, Unon, and a few other countries is quite in readiness. Will inform you the flight details.”

“Great. I will receive you at the airport here. Bye for now, all you guys there.” Adarsh signed off.

……….

Hardnuts, the CEO of Universal Chemicals felt somewhat disturbed by the recent telecast by the terrorist organization FREE. He and president Korruptkin had declared to the world that Uttam and his associates were the masterminds behind the bomb blast in the factories of Universal Chemicals and couple of other factories in Unon. But now FREE had taken the responsibility for those blast. Obviously Uttam was free of all the charges.

Hardnuts was desperate and rang Korruptkin, “Sir, you saw the telecast. FREE was behind all those blasts. Uttam is a free man now. We know how passionate he is about grabbing from us an astronomical sum as compensation for the victims of Lohab gas leak. He is once again going to prove a big headache to us. He will surely raise head once again.”

“Hardnuts, you are right. You must deal with this Uttam immediately and inform me. But frankly speaking destruction of your factories in the bomb blast, in fact, came as a boon- you got all the insurance money and the old plants had become quite obsolete. Though blasts resulted in the deaths of a few of your factory workers, we got away cheaply by giving some moderate compensation to the families of the deceased workers.” Korruptkin gave out a mild laughter.

“Sir, I agree with you. I will think about how to deal with Uttam. Also I need to get rid of the land and the factory building of Lohab in Nuplace. It could have brought fortunes had we sold it before the gas leakage episode. I am trying my best to dispose them off as soon as possible at the highest price I can negotiate.”

“That’s your headache provided you pass on the agreed amount to me after you are finished with these trivialities. Anyways, keep me posted.”

“Have a good day, sir.”

His conversation with the president did not pacify his anxiety. On the other hand it aggravated his worries. He was quite worried over these issues. On one hand he had to tackle the headache created by the possible resurfacing of Uttam and on the other hand he had to get rid of the property of Universal Chemicals at Lohab.

A few days passed with this kind of overburden of worries on him. Then one evening while he was brooding over the matters with a glass of hard drinks in his hand he heard a buzz on his telephone. He felt irritated by this untimely intrusion. He was in the middle of his thoughts on the two topics that were constantly bothering him. He spoke angrily, “Who’s that?”

“I am Vicky from Nuplace. I am interested in your property of Lohab. Am I speaking with Mr Hardnuts, the CEO of Universal Chemicals?”

Hardnuts’s countenance brightened. He thought that the telephone call was a good omen. He brought softness in his voice and spoke, “Hello Mr Vicky, I’m Hardnuts. Yes, I’m the CEO.”

Then he became impatient to hear the response.

“I want to meet you soon. I know that your previous efforts to sell the property failed because it did not fetch much money. My offer will be almost ten times the highest offer you have received so far. I’m sure you cannot refuse it. Can you give me a suitable date and time for our meeting? I am willing to travel to your place.”

“Wait a sec.”

While he asked Vicky to hang on, Hardnuts rang Korruptkin from his other phone. He briefed the president about Vicky and his offer. Then he checked up, “Will you like to be in the meeting sir?”

“I will like to be in the meeting. Ask him to come here at his earliest convenience. Let me know the date and time of meeting after you finalize with him,” the president said.

“Sir, I wish to involve Nuplace’s president Darpok also in this meeting. We will need his seal on this deal for it to become legal. Also as you know he did a favor to me by helping me to slip out of his country safely at the time of Lohab gas episode. I will like to return the favor by dishing out some money to him, which I will additionally extract from this man Vicky. We wouldn’t lose anything.”

“OK. Call Darpok for the meeting.”

Hardnuts picked up the other phone and spoke with Vicky, “When can you meet us in Unon?”

“May 1 suits me the best as of now. Is that OK with you?” inquired Vicky.

“OK with me. Vicky, so please make it on May 1 at 8 PM at the presidential vacation home. President Korruptkin will like to be present in the meeting. His involvement is necessary, as the whole thing has taken a political turn. I am inviting your president Darpok too to put his governmental seal and close the deal.”

“Do you think my president will come at this short notice?”

“Leave it to me. We have developed a good personal understanding with each other. He will not reject my invitation despite the short notice,” Hardnuts said.

“As far as I am concerned, it’s a done thing. I am eager to finalize the deal as soon as possible. I will be there as desired by you. I extend my special thanks to you for roping in Mr Darpok. We can thus finalize the deal in every respect in the shortest possible time without any recourse to the red tape in my country. Also you will get your money immediately. Thanks again, Bye.”

“Bye.”

Hardnuts felt quite relieved. Now he had a reason to enjoy his drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment